Wednesday, May 30, 2007

forest majick

The weekend was filled with majickal things. I learned to identify some of the common plants of my region: plantain, miner's lettuce, wild oats, poisonous hemlock. I made a special love charm. I slept in a real tepee.


Many different kinds of camps come here: Indian Princesses, private parties, and the Winnerainbow Circus camp too. A true community forms as we all co - habitate for awhile, making our own little village. Tents pop up all around the big tepees, and a kitchen springs to life. We were fed gourmet vegan food (think chard, kale and chickpeas) that felt like a cleanse. No TV or radio (the a few of the kids had Shuffles) made it easier to hear the trickling water of the creek nearby and of course, the birds...we first heard, and later saw, a big wild turkey skulking around near the serving area. Artemis stalked him with an eye to a big tail feather (she wants to make a quill pen.)


There were baskets full of love everywhere at the Marketplace on Sunday afternoon. Lotions, potions, and all things herbal, made by hand, were sold or traded: soap, herbal brew, artwork, clothing, jewelry. I snapped pictures of some of my favorite things.


Mia makes baby pants, colorful organic cotton expertly sewn. I bought two pairs of bloomers for the little p., and was kept $50 richer by the woman in front of me buying the last pair of adult bloomers. They were a rich apricot color, with ruffles of the same fabric. Now I am obsessed with making some just like them. (It felt good, though, to BUY some things I could have easily made - it made me feel, well, rich.) Mia sews in Woodacre, California, and I can give you her email if you want.


Not many of the vendors had websites, and I was surprised. I encouraged everyone to try so I could link them here next year. Corbin Brashear makes these felted creatures in Williams, OR. She gave me this link to her majickal world. I bought that mushroom you see there, BTW. Who wouldn't?!

I traded my carmate for her wonderful hydrosols: lavendar and rose, and I bought a rosemary one from another woman for my hair. I got healing salves that feel so good on my lips. I bought a super cute recycled material top from Beth Grim, owner of Green Grim who "specializes in reclaimed and natural fibers." She was a cutter just like horsey girl: altered clothing, groovy colors, simple techniques that were so cool. (Got her email, too! Hi Beth, hope you're reading....)

And after the shopping, the big ritual. More to come...

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I can''t wait to hear more!!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

This looks wonderful! I wish we had stuff like that around here!
Have a great summer!!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Bean said...

Oh my goodness.... I swear I lived that life in the past. I am completely green with envy that you were able to participate in such a fantastic get together! You are SO lucky!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please, could I have the email for the bloomers? My friend's her were lucky enough to attend this year have them and I want some, too!~*~ Bounty

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter