Thursday, May 17, 2007

prolific

It's an amazing year for cherries! This tree has been hit or miss...the year before last, incredible yield; then last year, nada. We are luckier than lucky to have more cherries than you can believe right now. Tonight I braved the rickety ladder to retrieve some of the bounty.


Mostly I am scared of ladders, and this one is the worst. To make matters worse, it has been a veritable magnet for each and every daughter...wanting to be a good mother, I let them venture up, but I pay for it later with a stress stomach ache!

And speaking of stomach aches, do you remember eating so many cherries that you wanted to die? I do. Riding in the back of someone's old truck, the cherries sweet and juicy and I just couldn't stop....and then the unmistakable feeling: too much. Must stop now. Ack! The ache.


I do believe these particular specimens are worthy of Mary Engelbreit. They are deceivingly difficult to pick, however. Plucking a promising handful almost always results in a bit of branch following suit. I'm learning that, like the best things in life, cherries should be picked slowly and mindfully, one at a time.


Oooooh, there are a lot of them. A conversation at work did not yield a lot of ideas for their fate. "Umm....well, cherry pie...." and then it kind of drifted off. The year before last dh canned some, with less than desireable results. Freezing? But for what? Cherry jam?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Surely there are some foodies out there reading this blog.


Lucy's got a good idea. "Ditch these and come play with ME." And thankful for her advice, I do.

I can always pick more tomorrow. Seems the birds don't have the word out (yet).

And these are just the bings! Next week the royals will be ready. Recipes, s'il vous plait!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember The Yarn Harlot making upside down cherry cake with hers in previous years. Not sure if there was a recipe on her blog or not.

3:49 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

cherry pie, cherry cheesecake, cherry muffins. ooooh all them cherries! mail some my way?!

7:25 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

cold cherry soup is delicious.
such great pictures of the cherries.

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter