Saturday, May 05, 2007

do you believe?

Do you believe that children are our future? Do you believe in fairies? Do you believe in miracles?

Just a couple more weeks until Open House. That's when all the parents come to check out the classroom and see what their kids have been up to while they are at work. I like to think I have a leg up on things: we have been doing many science and math projects, each cleverly disguised as art.

This survey is one of my favorite Spring activities. It never fails to bring me hope.

Another sweet graph. This is when we have important discussions about "girl colors" and "boy colors"...again I feel hopeful as they insist against defining roles. "No such thing."

I love to back their work against contrasting colors. Our room is really starting to pop and feel alive. These are studies of shapes and reveal all the different developmental levels my class embraces.

After many interesting books about birds and how they live, we created these nests. If you were a bird, what would your nest look like?

Folded paper and white paint make a sky - like cloud display. These are inspired by the book, It Looked Like Spilt Milk. The attached papers have a little writing on them, as the students interpreted their own shapes, Rorschach style.

You're right, I should have looked that up.

The paper daffodils are just as cheerful as the ones that sprang from the bulbs we planted last fall. And they last longer.

Ducks, for ducks' sake. How can the same pattern produce so many unique results?


And the parts of a plant, outlined in the Science Standards of California Kindergarteners. These are milk caps, seeds, wallpaper, pipe cleaners and raffia. A lovely bouquet!

I guess I am living my art through my class right now. Perhaps this summer I will get back too my own crafting! I have so, so many ideas and inspirations, but for now it's all about the kids. Thanks for coming by....do please leave a comment.

2 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

sweet sweet art.
i need to work with the boy on more art projects. i dont know what would hold his attention. i just need to try.
thank you for the inspiration.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Connie Peterson said...

lovely art projects and lovely way to post the surveys.... you look like you are having FUN!!! Good for you! Great teachers make great students and great future adults. And, yes, children ARE our future!!!

Blessings

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter