Friday, July 21, 2006

the best night ever

Last night, a wonderful thing happened. My two greatest loves came together - knitting and baseball, specifically, THE GIANTS. Yes folks, it was Stitch and Pitch night at the baseball game, and we were there, right on the third base line (an excellent advantage to watching Barry Bonds crouching, I might add.)

There was knitting, and there was incredible baseball. First the knitting: They had a contest of Master Knitters and their amazing feats. The winner actually knitted with baseball bats, something you really have to see to believe. Horsey Girl and I took a little milder approach with small projects using the team colors.

Then, there was the game.
Go ahead, say it. He's incredible. And then....Ray Durham hits another one! We are wild. We are going NUTS. Then Pedro Feliz is up. Noone can sit. All knitting is forgotten. And then, the impossible happens.... THREE HOME RUNS IN A ROW. Dh says this happens, um, never. But on this night, this magical night....it must have been the knitting. Strangers embraced. Beers flew. The noise was deafening. Another timeless moment...

Incredible as it may seem, the miracles just kept coming. It was time for Flash Your Visa. Much to P. #1's chagrine I whipped mine out and started dancing. Funky town! Suddenly, the people behind us started to scream. "There we are! There we are!" The camera was on ME. I was up on the big screen, waving my Visa card like an idiot. The camera lingered....

It would have been enough, really. It was fun like BIG FUN to see us up there. But a few minutes later, a quiet Japanese man appeared before my eyes. He handed me a white envelope. I was....the winner?! Why yes, yes I was. I had won a $100 Visa gift card.

I credit the Buddha, I really do.
And let's not forget the goods. The knitting bag of my dreams, and inside, several skeins of yarn in the team colors (I gave the "fun" one to H.G., but it's wonderful), a set of bamboo needles, endless coupons for LYS's, and a pattern for a team hat.

It was like Christmas, my birthday and winning the lottery all in one. It was, in short, the best night ever.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I've calmed down (posted a comment on the Wardrobe Refashion site) and realize I was there Wed for the day game - which they pulled out in the last inning. AND, I THINK I would have registered the fact that it was Stitch and Pitch - but it is great to find your blog in any event.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

That's so great! What a fun night.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

Howdy (from the Refashionista site). I love baseball, like the Giants better than the A's (I'm a transplant, so nobody replaces the Cubs and Indians). Love Omar (an old Indian...). But do not like the bonds..

Can we still be friends?

Sounds like it was a great night. I want to see a photo of that woman knitting with bats.

7:27 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

How lucky are you? Now I want to find me a special Buddha like that! What you spend all that 100$ on? Crafts I presume?

10:26 AM  
Blogger al said...

Yeah! Congrats on the VISA thing! GO GIANTS!!!

i hope i can make it to next year's stitch n pitch too!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

hooray! i wish i had a picture of the baseball bat knitting!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! You're soo lucky! Dang! And yes I totally want to see that person knitting with baseball bats, too. CRAZY

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter