Monday, October 05, 2009

a room of my own


The move towards my own room has been gradual.  Over two years ago I felt the need to find my own space, a step towards finding my authentic self.  At that point, I began by moving all my stuff upstairs and taking over a section of the girls' domain.


This past Spring, when Princess #1 moved back in for a time, it started to feel cramped when everyone was home.  In fact I didn't really even have a place to sleep if I felt like sleeping alone.  At this point our counsellor took my side and encouraged me to claim some space.

So over Labor Day weekend, with the help of my big strong Horsey Girl, I moved all of P. #2's stuff upstairs and all my own stuff down to my new room.  Also taking up an awkward corner is my grandmother's corner cabinet, which has been in the garage since we moved here eight years ago.  (I think I'll line the glass with some pretty wrapping paper to cover the boxes of craft, sewing, spinning and knitting stuff all stuffed in there.)


In the opposite corner I have an antique full of books; my jewelry is on top.  The closet (more organized than the cabinet!) has a bulletin board on it to pin up inspirations.  There is artwork to the right there that I will show you later...


And I love having a place to sleep when I just feel like being alone.  A stack of books and my laptop, a good light and lots of firm pillows, clean sheets and a knitting stash... heaven.  (Don't worry, I sleep with Nice Dad too sometimes.  But if you don't have your own bed, you should.)


I even like the view from the door.  The house looks cozy from here.  Having my own room gives me a whole new outlook.  

Love that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and peaceful space you have created! I'm envious that you have your own room.. and someday, I want one of my own too! (personally, I think as we age and grow in wisdom, having one's own room is fantastic!)

Check your email if you haven't Kat.. I've got something to ask you that may or probably won't surprise you ;)

10:41 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

maybe that's why i chose to stay single! i dont want to share my bed or space with anyone! :)
you're space is lovely!

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter