Wednesday, September 02, 2009

meet your meat


We went to the Monterey County Fair.  I love it because it is my childhood.  So many fond memories here.  I even got my first kiss somewhere out in the livestock barns.  ( I was thirteen and had braces.)


Little P. was chagrined to see me eat beef today.  "Mom, you are on a RAW diet."  She is right.  But sometimes we stray.  I love to see the 4-Hers with their animals.  They take a lot of pride in their work ( and they work hard.)  They keep exhaustive records.  As a result, they strive to make a profit from ranching (albeit small scale).   I wonder if you could eat this way and maintain your good karma?


For instance, if you bought an animal at the 4-H auction, you would pay two to three times the regular wholesale price; yet you would rest assured that these animals had a quality of life far greater than some people!


Well groomed, well cared for, and positively well loved.  Though 4-Hers are aware of their charges' fate, they still instill a sense of unconditional love within the hearts of their animals.  Could this be because they are children?


Of course, noone is going to eat something this adorable.

Anyway, if you had the freezer space, and felt the need to eat animal flesh, I think this would be the best way to go.  Probably economical in the long run, as well.  

I am off the raw path somewhat, but feeling OK with my choices for the most part.  I get a CSA tomorrow.  And yesterday I shared vegetables from the garden with my friends at school.

Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter