Sunday, September 16, 2007

forest yarn


Lest you all think I've been moping too much, let me show you my recent accomplishment: this skein of handspun from Carolina Homespun in the colorway "forest". I like the way it looks and feels and I'm starting to itch a little about knitting it up.


Impatient to see how it would ply, I have finished only half of the fiber I have. Another skein would be enough for some small project, most likely socks. Do you like the colors here? There was so much purple, red and green, I never thought it would end up looking so "foresty" but I was wrong. I learned a lot about plying with this project. I plied the whole thing at my last guild meeting under the watchful eye of a Danish friend who has been spinning most of her life. She advised me to find a rythm and to spin it just a little more than I usually do, increasing the strength and giving it a more finished look. No wonder I've always thought plying was faster than spinning.
Now I'm on to spinning the merino/tencel blend I got from.....um, I forget which swap....it's in the opposite spectrum, green blue and grey. I am learning to spin on the fold for this one.

Meanwhile, life spins on as well. Fall is almost here.

3 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

lovely yarn! all this talk about yarn and spinning I might, just might learn to be a better knitter! i'm not talking sweaters mind you but I've been thinking on maybe learning how to knit say ummm socks... i also want to make one of these guys...http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?navCount=655&&pushId=LIVE_TOYS&id=770803&parentid=LIVE_TOYS&&navAction=jump&search=true

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What beautiful yarn. Can't wait until I see what you knit with it. It's good to be productive when things are not going well in your personal life - it gives your mind a much needed break from all your worries besides creating a cool object d'art.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Mich said...

beautiful colours!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter