Sunday, January 21, 2007

indulgences

High on the prospect of receiving my first paycheck (after six months) in a couple of weeks, I wandered into this store yesterday and bought myself a little something...OK, three little somethings...Cherry Tree Hill to be exact. Yeah, I see you all loving it, and by gum I'm going to make me some socks. You see, I recently did a big purge on the old closet, and guess what? I threw away most of my socks, leaving only the lovely hand knits. And frankly there just aren't enough. I'm not going to put pressure on myself to make anything fancy, or complete a deadline. I'm just going to enjoy working with this incredible stuff, top to bottom: Brights, African Grey, and Birches. I consider this purchase arming myself for the long soccer weekends to come.

I filled so many Hefty bags with detritus that I lost count...suffice to say it was two carloads to Goodwill, and a sense of relief as I looked around at clean surfaces. Sorry I never took a picture of my Winter Solstice altar, but here is the new pared - down version: a rainbow candle from a dear friend, dragons and buddhas and Quan Yin, some charms I plan on sending to my secret pal, and on the right a collage I made during the summer entitled "staying present". This is my challenge lately, being in the moment, a feeling I like to call "behind my eyes." I like that many of the images I selected have come to fruition.

And the rasta witch yarn? It's a hat now. I indulged myself by sitting down and knitting it beginning to end, no breaks for housework, dinner, or demanding family members. A quick and comfy reminder that taking care of myself helps me take care of everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarns!! Enjoy your socks. My daughter knits most of my socks - I am too slow with my knitting and I'd rather be weaving!

Love your altar!

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty! Good for you for tossing the stuff. We get so bogged down at times.

Lovely fairy visit you had! And nice yarn you spun up.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter