Saturday, January 13, 2007

morning routine



Next Wednesday, I return to work. I have been teaching Kindergarten at a public school for eleven years. This year, I split the time between myself and a retiring teacher. She will be leaving forever, and I will be taking over the class.

My last four months have been what I originally titled (in my head) a journey of the self. I started going to therapy once a week. I started walking an hour every day, and eating healthful foods (a lot, in thanks to this.)

I also incorporated a peaceful morning routine. Get up around six, put the water on for tea. (I quit coffee - or I guess it quit me - I just started hating the taste of it. Then I became more aware of how it was just a big vehicle for sugar.) Open the woodstove flu and stoke the fire (our only heat). Light my yoga candle (gardenia), roll out my green sticky mat. Fill up my pink Nalgene container with 32 ounces of water - try to drink it all before 9. Do 25 minutes of yoga (sometimes accompanied by one or more dogs and the occasional Princess.) Dh gets said Princess ready for school and I make bentos for the family while listening to public radio. (Do you have your own music in your kitchen? You should.) Everyone loaded up and off to school by 7:45. Drop Princess at her school by 8:30, then head out to Fall Creek for an hour of vigorous exercise.

What could be better?

I'll tell you what. Teaching Kindergarten!

I can't wait to go back to my school, with my school friends, and feel the pulse of all those energetic and imaginative little beings. Sure, I'll need to make bentos the night before, lay out my clothes, plan ahead, and get up an hour earlier. But I feel an adventure coming on, and as we all know, change is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

What a sweet picture into your morning. I wish mine was as soothing and good to my health. *gulp* I'll work on it this year.
Good luck with the teaching!! I hope you have a sweet little guy like Aaron in your class. Everyone loves him at his school and I keep getting notes home how he's going to be so missed for the next 2 months.
There are a lot of things I could change and I thank you for the lovely look into your home, giving me little ideas on what I can use to change myself for the better.
2007 will be a good year for you and me! :D
Sing it sweet sistah!!
Love and will miss you lots while I'm away!!
It's so nice to see you updating so often!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter