Wednesday, January 03, 2007

fabric mart



You didn't really think I was sitting on the beach the whole vacation, did you? Of course another ritual of Oahu is the sacred pilgrimage to Fabric Mart. It was just as mind blowing as I remembered it. This time I got Horsey Girl to accompany me; she really enjoyed the wide variety of Hello Kitty prints we spotted upstairs. Oh yeah, it's
two floors worth of Hawaiian fabric goodness.



Here's a shot of the second floor! The variety is endless. The salespeople are brisk and businesslike. It's pretty obvious this place doesn't see a lot of tourists, so we stuck out like sore thumbs. But I refused to mask my enthusiasm. This place even has Hawaiian print polar fleece! Next year I am definitely getting some.



This year I showed much greater constraint than last, however. I just bought three remnants (two yards each, none over $4.00) and a great turtle pincushion fashioned inside a coconut. It's done in traditional Hawaiian quilting style, and I love it!

The red print was our tree skirt this year, and the green covers the TV when it's not on. The bottom is a fantastic barkcloth that is mostly gone since I used it to make an apron for my bil (I was his secret Santa this year).

I'm thinking of cutting up the Box of Crayons quilt-that-is-not-a-quilt and making placemats, backed with Hawaiian fabric...after I spin a little more, that is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Aurora, that literally took my breath away! The best reason I've seen for visiting Oahu.

Have you ever been to Stone Mountain Daughter on Shattuck in Berkeley?

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter