Saturday, December 30, 2006

just one more day



Traditionally I take down the ole' tree on New Year's Day, to the blaring background of the football games. It's a bittersweet time, revisiting each precious ornament and putting the decorations to sleep for another year. I also take the time to cull things that are broken, too ugly or useless, or whose origin I have long forgotten. There are always plenty of replacements within this year's gifts.

It's interesting to me to notice how long other people enjoy their trees. I once picked up my daughter at a friend's house one cold February day, and was surprised to see her fully decorated tree still erect, brittle and dark, in the family room. There were ornament boxes piled up all around it, so maybe she was just taking her time...

Another time I was invited to swim at my friend's sister's house during a particularly hot July day. I ran in for a towel and, being nosy, poked around to the back of the house just to check it out. Yikes!! There it was...holding up well since it was artificial, but it looked kind of ghostly. I guess it was just too pretty to disassemble.

How long do you leave your tree up?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom used to take ours down on the 1st ... New Year's Day. I started insisting that she leave it up for the 12 days of Christmas. I wanted her to leave it up for my birthday - 14 days of Christmas (the 8th) but she never would. When I got married, I would leave mine up until after my birthday, but I think I'll take my stuff (little as it is) down New Year's Day but leave the lights on until my birthday. Especially the star, as it represents MY religion as well as Norm's!!!

Blesssings in the New Year!

7:33 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

I took mine down today. I take it down when A is gone to his dad's. I also put it up when he's away. I wonder what he thinks where Christmas trees come and go? I took it down just in time too, he came home several hours later. My house is back to it's sad self. I like December just for the decorations.
Happy New Year!!!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It goes up during the week before Christmas and comes down on the 12th day of Christmas, Dec 5th late in the evening of first thing on the 6th.
I grew up with the tradition in England.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter