Thursday, August 10, 2006

dishing up love


Dh got me a gift certificate to a fancy kitchen shop for our anniversary. What did I buy? Japanese dishes, bien sur. I just love the colors and shapes of these; I never find them in thrift stores, and would not normally be able to justify the price ($$$!). It's so fun to arrange food on them, too; they turn the humblest offerings into works of art. I am happy with this serene and lovely display on our big old table.

The tomatoes are from the garden; I found the little glass heart at a yard sale.
Another yummy dish - my lunch. Panzanella salad made with stale sourdough, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I find myself making this over and over this summer. It's the perfect hot weather meal served with cheese, melon, canned dolmas, and good wine.

Served in a big shallow bowl on top of a fat quarter napkin. And speaking of napkins...
Aren't these the cutest?! And notice the price. Well, it's almost my birthday, and I thought I'd be prepared.

Love the little bear holding flowers on that cute wrapping paper, too. In case anybody needs some.

8 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

you know very well that I'll comment, cuz I'm like your biggest fan! lol.

those dishes are fun. if i had kids that ate those would be great at supper time. Eating should be about the presentation as much as the food in my opinion. You get an A+!

That glass heart is sweet. It's funny because I remember a couple years ago I bought acrylique hearts like that at the dollar store to give as Valentines. I'd tell the person put this in your purse and think of us (Me and little A).

Your fat quarter napkin is sweet. Don't you want to use it in a quilt though? lol

You always seem to find the greatest of thrift stuff!! You are just too good!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Cute!

And yum, that salad looks fabulous. I think that's what I'll have for dinner. The tomatos are fabulous this year, even if the basil did badly. I miss the basil. No pesto either. [sob]

5:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello there.
Confession time: I have been following your blog too! There I said it! I am a craft blog lurker, who is just starting to comment.

You and your family seem fun and creative and full of love for each other. The special little ways to make the world better and more crafty! Thanks.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, a few comments. 1) I am your biggest fan, just to make things clear. 2)I'm not really a big salad person, everyone knows I'm more of a "bring on the meat" kind of girl, but that actually looks really good and I was craving it just looking at the picture.

3)Heck yeah, I remember your birthday is coming, just 5 days away. WHOHOOOO!
4) It's 1AM and I shouldn't be doing this right now I guess. I have a training to go to in a few hours. This is more fun, though.
5) I just remembered, what the heck is your DH doing the Dammit Run instead of coming to the training? Before he said he had to work but now I know he's running that. BUSTED! Love, me

1:07 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I came over from Carrie K's.

I love the Japanese dishes. I bought some from TK Maxx here in the UK and they are just so gorgeous.

The napkins are very cute!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are indeed on the same wavelength. Gorgeous panzanella and gorgeous dishes!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Happy Birthday, Aurora!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Aurora!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter