Friday, July 01, 2011

home grown



My garden is confused. We got a late start with planting, popping things into the ground two weeks after Mother's Day. Then it rained. Then it was ninety degrees. Then forty. Then more rain... now it's in the eighties again and the tomatoes are shaking their heads in disbelief.

I have peas (on the curly stakes), collards, tomatoes, pumpkins, zucchini, crookneck and chard.
r

This is my flower "bed" that re - seeds itself every year. Hidden under all the bachelor buttons are some cool flowers I got for free at the feed store last year. No ideal what they are.

I am actually a pretty terrible gardener because after planting everything, I'd rather just forget it until it's time to pick stuff. Consequently everything is smothered in weeds. Thankfully the rain solved the whole watering problem (the problem being I am too lazy to do it).



Therein lies the brilliance of the CSA. This week: baby turnips and beets, parsley and cilantro, cucumbers (so. good.), carrots, teeny tiny baby squash still wearing their flowers, napa cabbage, green onions, scallions, garlic, red chard, butter lettuce, romaine, arugula, dandelion greens AND let us not forget the most gorgeous and mouth watering strawberries that never lasted the car ride home.

Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wild flowers esp. the bachelor buttons. "Home grown" brought a completley different picture to my mind. Veggies certainly taste better fresh from the garden.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter