Sunday, June 05, 2011

creature features




The chicks have been transferred to the outside pen and are mixing and mingling with the hens nicely now. It's always touch and go when adding new additions to the flock. Chickens look cute but they are essentially cannibals and will eat up smaller fry if they sense them as intruders. We have six pretty teenagers now, a bunch of different breeds but as long as they lay eggs and make compost I don't care what kind they are.



Speaking of intruders, this turkey hen took to actually pecking on the window a few months ago. Not sure what she was trying to say, other than "man I am sick of this weather." I hear you mama, I really, really do.



And, like a Springtime miracle.... Wanda came back. Or should I say, emerged. I got this tortoise from a student about a year ago. She lived in a tank but I felt sorry for her so I released her into one of the raised beds and thought she would be thrilled. Well, she was... for about three weeks, after which she dug out and went on her merry way. I think she eventually dug herself a hole and hibernated the winter away, until I found her caught in some deer netting I had swathed around the roses.

Just in time for Open House!

Will I release her again? Oh probably. We all need to be free...

Next up: a stray cat and the duck that was probably a mistake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter