Monday, November 06, 2006

little leaf lace


Fall has turned out to be incredibly gorgeous here in the forest. The colors of the path as I took my walk last week reminded me of my current knitting project.

This is the silk/cashmere skein sent to me from my Birthday Swap Pal. The pattern is called Little Leaf Lace, from the 2005 365 Days of Knitting calendar. This is my very first attempt at knitting lace so please, be gentle...it took me five tries to finally get the pattern down. The instructions proclaimed it to be "easy, good for first time lace knitters", and with any luck, it will resemble the picture after I've blocked it...it's about three inches shy of the finished width at present.

It's supposed to be a kind of viney pattern...I don't know why my yarnovers aren't more holy though. I know that I knit kind of tight. I don't think this closeup is helping my case, but I want you to know how incredibly soft this yarn is. It will be heaven looped around my neck in the misty days to come.

Last thing, I wanted to flash my recent garage sale buy...three adorable aprons from the 50's, $1.00 each. The fabrics are so mellow, each one has been worn and washed and worn again...I love how they look on too. Each one covers well and has been immaculately sewn, with bias tape edges and a sweet little pocket. I am really enjoying these.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elinor said...

What cool aprons! I love the yarn too. It looks like a great fall project.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

My Grandmother wore aprons like that! I love them. The lace looks beautiful - it will open up when you block it, don't worry. Lace is an excercise in faith.

6:57 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

I think your lace looks lovely. Yayyy for great garage sales! Those aprons are nice. I bet the feel nice when you wear them too! Now I know what I'm looking for next time I go to the thrift store.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lace will probably open up when it's blocked.

Lovely! The aprons are pretty cool too. My mom has quite a few aprons from her mother & grandmother.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sexy aprons! I'd like to make a pattern from one of them, okay?

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter