Wednesday, November 01, 2006

energy

On a recent hike I came across this amazing web. It was about two feet across, and perfect. There were actually several webs stretching across the same span of redwood branches, all glistening in the early morning sun. The smaller ones had residents too - little spiders perched warily in the middle of each one, waiting for breakfast, I suppose. As I stood there gazing at them, I was filled with wonder for the craft of spinning, and a certain silvery energy began to fill me, something I had felt before.....
It took a good part of the afternoon, but I managed to find my spindle, buried in a long forgotten spot. Some time ago I had arranged my fiber stash in one convenient basket, and I had some fun petting and squeezing before settling on a likely wad. Oh, the joys of spinning are really indescribable. It's an energy so ancient. It's alchemy, true majick! It's trance inducing and positively addicting...I spun, and spun, and felt a deep connection with my spidery friends...this picture shows the twist pretty well, doubling back in a pleasing ply quite nicely.
The more I handle my spindle the more majickal it becomes, a tool so simple and beautifully perfect in its function. I'm mesmerized by its movements, the repetition of twirling the shaft, drawing out the fibers, watching the energy of the twist climb to meet my fingers...up, up, up, and then the slow winding of the finished yarn, then repeat, repeat. It's quiet work, a meditation.
Native American women were said to have rubbed their hands with spider webs before sitting down to weave or spin. It was to bring the energy of the spider to their work...perfect in its simplicity. I think I will try that too, but only with abandoned webs!

This fiber is 100% Alpaca, sent to me early in my blogging career from my dear friend Christine. It's dyed with two kinds of Koolaid...the color reminds me of something edible, and it smells a little like cherries.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

The color of the alpaca says "faerie wings" to me. I don't know why, but the second I saw it, "faerie wings"! It almost looks like a color that should be spun so thinly that it wouldn't be any thicker than a strand in the spider's web with glimmers of dewdrops in it......

It's really a beautiful color and I am so glad that you are enjoying the alpaca!

**hugs!**

6:56 PM  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

Someday I will spin, too. But, in which lifetime? I love this post.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Bean said...

Isn't it amazing how much we mimic nature with a LOT of things we do in our lives? There is energy and inspiration in every new day!

5:50 AM  
Blogger smileymamaT said...

Wow, I have never seen a web that big, ever. I love the alpaca, it looks so soft. The strands came out in a beautiful shade. It makes me, too, think of fairies.
-T

6:28 PM  
Blogger linda said...

hi :)
found your blog while i was researching something. i'm a spinner, too and enjoyed the story + pic of that wonderful web! take care~

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter