Friday, October 13, 2006

13.1 just for fun

The lure of endurance events is strong. Once you've done a couple, you're hooked. This time, I decided to walk. Actually, I signed up for the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon by accident. They claimed not to have received my entry...and yet, here came the envelope containing my number. There was nothing left to do but take it on.
Here we are at the start. I am in corral #13 as you can see. Nothing but nervous energy to be had here, but I remained calm....due not in small part to the terrible headache I had at the time after drinking too much wine at a school fundraiser the night before. Do not attempt this at home.
The best part of Rock and Roll events (this was my second) is that they are exactly that - rock and roll baby! Every two miles or so, another band is blasting tunes to keep you upbeat and moving. Here's a pic of my personal favorite - incredibly talented Asian youth banging out a beat both strong and crisp...tight with the beat, but full of creative energy. What else to call it? Bento, of course.
I walked, and walked, and walked some more. We winded through my old neighborhoods in downtown San Jose (SJSU graduate, 1987), backstreets filled with superior taquerias, Japantown, rows of Victorians full of students and inquisitive families pulling lawn chairs up to watch. I walked until I could walk no more, and for what? You ask. Well, just look at those amazing sandals! Nothing felt so good I tell you. I know what you're thinking: the socks ARE incredible as well. Dh and I were the self proclaimed "team pirate" this year. Stunning, no?
It was a long walk, but a good walk. A bonding moment at the end...notice the glow here folks. We had such a great time with our friend and mentor Christina, too (she took that first pic) Truly memories to last a lifetime. Let's do it again soon!

P.S. I am very behind in my Swap duties. Secret Pal, I will post the questionnaire soon, I promise. And Laura, I'm so glad you liked your goodies. As for my other blogs, well, I'll be with you in a moment. I still need to replace my links. Thank you for your patience.


3 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

what a wonderful accomplishment! bravo!! and bravo some more!!
those socks rock!!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much! I actualy took the list off of the KTS2 website and was taking names off the list as people received packages from that person! Unfortunately I got behind on schoolwork and didn't get it narrowed down all the way! Thanks again!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was sooo much fun! From hanging out at the expo, to riding up together on Sunday, and eating afterwards. It was a blast. Definetely...when's our next one (except I can't run for a while...more to come later)

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter