Wednesday, October 11, 2006

circus knitting

A long time ago, I used to be resentful of my daughters' involvement in soccer: my every weekend taken, practice meaning two trips up and down the hill, endless hours just waiting around. Now I see it as the true blessing it is: knitting time. Amidst the shouting parents, frantic players and plaintive whistles I sit, ever serene. I have even gone so far as to call them (in my head) "sock-er" games (he he)

One can get a lot done at those games, particularly the tournaments, which may (and usually do) involve freezing cold wind, remote locations and several games tied, 0 - 0.

These socks turned out a tiny bit more psychodelic than I anticipated. Hippie wear for sure (no, I don't own any Birkenstocks!) though they've gotten quite a few compliments as they unfold. This is the 2005 365 Days of Knitting pattern for May 13, "Leslie's Double Eyelet Socks." I reckon they are pretty close, if not the same, as the ones knit for me by my lovely Secret Pal last fall (or hopefully they will look it after a little blocking, n'est-ce pas?!)

The yarn is from Lisa Souza Knitwear and Dyeworks in the Big Top colorway, hence the nickname. Though in my heart they are sock-er soccs.

And now, for a much anticipated swap photo!
A long time ago (sorry Laura!) I was invited to do a color swap. She chose pink, and I chose green. This lady really outdid herself. I have not even pictured half the lovely items she enclosed, mostly because the children have been enjoying them....suffice to say, Laura is an amazing seamstress. See that bag? And the sweet little pocket purse to match? She made those with no pattern. Isn't that incredible? She included so many cute, fun green goodies...gum, a pen, post it notes, some vintage trim, and a card of buttons from her grandmother. On top of that, she crafted the most wonder ATC, and I am ashamed to say I still owe her one...in pink.

It's coming Laura, I promise. Thank you, thank you sweet sister! And if you've never checked out her blog, go there now. This woman is amazing...creative, inspiring, a single mom to a special needs child and yet upbeat, energetic and oh, did I mention inspiring?

2 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

those socks are just awesome!!
you are too sweet to say such nice things about me.. thank you so very much!! we'll have to do another themed swap it was soo much fun. i still think i shorted you... :-P

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I just saw your comment on Beanie Baby and after following it I had to say--hey! I'm an environmentalist witchy person too! Happy to meet you.

And you're right about Laura. She rocks in all kinds of ways.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter