Monday, October 16, 2006

dear secret pal


A few things you might like to know about me.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I like soft yarns, nothing to thick or bulky. I do *not* like fun fur, sparkly yarn or anything too novelty....currently I'm obsessed with socks and lace scarves, so lightweight is the name of the game here.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a homemade needle case for straights, and I'm planning on making one for my dpn's too. I keep circulars in a round basket (though I don't really use them)

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I taught myself to knit during my last pregancy (about four years ago.) I would consider my skill level to be low intermediate, but I'm never afraid to try new stuff.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

Lemon, coconut, almond, sandalwood. I also love incense.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I am currently on a strict diet so I am avoiding sugar and high calorie goodies....I do enjoy tea, soap, candles and cosmetics as alternate treats.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I do spin, and I love it. I also cross stitch, sew, quilt, and I love drawing and painting with my three year old.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like mellow, new agey music; also world beat, reggae, Hawaiin, and anything un-American.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I am burnt out on brights right now, and yearn for soothing earth tones: caramel, sand, camel, chocolate, dove grey. Also purple and green (but not too dark.)

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am married and have three daughters, 16,12 and 3 (the first two from a prior marriage). We live on a farm of sorts: 1 horse, 2 goats, 6 chickens, 3 dogs, 6 cats. I love sheep and llamas too.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

All but ponchos. Love fingerless gloves and lacey scarves.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Socks, socks, socks! Also see above
13. What are you knitting right now?

Finishing up a pair of bright socks, and getting ready to start a simple lace scarf.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I really like straights best. Bamboo or any wood is great. Could use #4 dpn's as our darling puppy chewed up mine.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I have a center pull ball winder, and I'd love a niddy noddy.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Um, can you believe, I don't really have any?! I'm kind of anal about finishing stuff before I start anything else. My recent socks were started about three weeks ago. I am a sloooow knitter for sure.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

I celebrate Pagan holidays (sabbats) and I love them all! Summer and Winter Solstice are great.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Bento boxes and accessories; images of Quan Yin; and sock yarn! I also like beads, stickers, fabric and trims.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I adore all Japanese craft magazines and would REALLY like any issues of Cotton and Paint! Also Knitting Vintage Socks, Color in Spinning, and the Twisted Sisters Sock Book. I enjoy knitting dishcloths and would love cotton and/or hemp yarn for that. Especially hemp!

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Some day I will try cables. I love to try new things.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes, I wear a women's size 10 shoe (about 9" long)

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

August 17, 1964.
Images brought to you by Fall Creek in Felton, where I hike three times a week. It's so beautiful and serene...truly a spiritual place and a great retreat for meditating on my next project!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter