Monday, October 23, 2006

best friend

Last week we hit the beach with my best friend. The weather here in Santa Cruz has been gorgeous, in the 70's at the water...just right for a little dip (toes only! The water is still chilly) I feel a little guilty getting an email from my mil telling of snow in Colorado! I just had to give my best friend a call and she dashed right down.
I met my best friend about 12 years ago. We met at a retreat up in the mountains, complete with sweat lodge. I knew as soon as I saw her I wanted to be her friend. She has the most amazing blue eyes. I felt a real heart connection with her, so I told her, "I want to be your friend." She laughed. I had never met anyone like her - spiritual, spontaneous, magical, motherly, creative, smart, and super fun to be with. We started hanging out every week after that.
We had daughters around the same age, along with a younger sibling each, hers a boy. Our kids spent many happy ours running amuck while we talked, and played, and indulged ourselves. We had field trips and rituals and parties. Lunchtime ran into dinner time, full and round, through every season. Those were such happy days and I remember them fondly.

Now the daughters have grown up and are leading different lives, but we know that they will be back, and that the legacy we gave them will make them strong in the long run. My best friend and I still love to hang out; there is less indulging now, but I still feel that heart connection when I am with her. She always knows the right thing to say, and I value her insight, as well as her connection to spirit, and her deep sense of play (she helped create the sandcastle above, and adores Little Princess too)

The best kind of friends give moms a break - to knit (marching down the instep now on Socker Socc #2), to relax, to be themselves. The best kind of friends are forever. We've been through good times and hard times and just "times"..... I am so glad to know you - and I love you, sister!

3 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

Ahh without friends where would we be?
Beautiful tribute to a beautiful friend!
I am so thankful that I have a forever friend just like this, I thank God for her everyday!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!You sure made my day! what an honor to be reconized as your best friend on your blog! you still remember your ole friends! Even now that your a siber famous blogg wiz.Ha Ha!
Your comments were trully touching my heart over flows with love making me teary eyed. Thanks for being such a tried and true friend. You are fun and fablous !! Always good for insperation and indulgence.
Love ya lots
Blessed be

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting blog you have! I'm so glad I found it!
God bless!
Terri

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter