Wednesday, August 11, 2010

staycation IV


Downtown Santa Cruz, also known as the Pacific Garden Mall. Here are some tips for navigating the strip.

* DON'T put your quarters into the meters on the street.
* DO take advantage of the free parking lots on Center Street, and put your quarters into the street musician's violin case.

These guys were playing some rollicking pirate music.


*DON'T shop at Borders for your magazines.
*DO go to Bookshop Santa Cruz instead. They have a better selection, as well as hilarious cards and a highlighted local authors section.


*DON'T worry about spending money at a fancy restaurant (though there are many excellent ones).
*DO grab a delicious slice at Pizza My Heart, and enjoy the vintage surf memorabilia while you munch.


*DON'T you dare go to Starbuck's later when you get the coffee jones.
*DO score a soy latte at Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company instead. Dude, you will be so glad you did.

Then back out on the street to see the freaks, the tourists, and the hot surfer guys. Have fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Aztechalo said...

I agree with all of those things. I love that I can go downtown and go to stores that are locally owned. I'm sad that I've never seen the pirate musicians.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Carrie #K said...

That sounds like a fabulous staycation! My cousin and I were at the Boardwalk for about 20 minutes last April (long enough to ride the Giant Dipper).

Happy Birthday!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter