Monday, August 30, 2010

in which i win my first buckle


When I was in High School, I was so envious of the kids who got the opportunity to compete for prizes.  I coveted their shiny silver buckles and I wanted one too.  I rode a neighbor's horse for fun after school and I dreamed of real competition.  I never knew it would take so long.


Over the weekend, King and I rode in the District 9 Silver Award gymkhana.  All the riders in District 9 (and indeed, the ones from other CGA districts that also attended) were so, so nice.  Friendly and encouraging and helpful.  I talked to all kinds of people and learned a lot about horses, gymkhanas, and life.

We rode every event, and on our second day, we won second place in all the events but one.  This put us in the high point placement for the "slowest" category.


King and I became a team this weekend.  There were good times (wonderful contact, awesome moves) and there were scary times (a long trailer on a narrow bridge, loose horse).  But I feel he is getting to know me, and I am falling more and more in love with him.  And coming to his first show, putting his heart out there on the line for me, was more than I could have ever asked.  Winning the buckle was just the icing on the horse cookie.

I rode him FC because I did not know what to expect from him; I knew he had potential (speed) but wanted to show well (control).  I wanted him to listen to me, pick up the patterns, and finish clean.  He outdid himself, and I was so proud!

Believe me when I say I wish I had more (better) pictures of our performance.  Note to self:  do not ask the spectator holding the beer can to take pictures for you.  You will undoubtably end up with pictures of his friends, his sandwich, and a few of you with either your or your horse's head cut off.


This is actually my favorite shot of the weekend, and it pretty much sums up how I felt at the end:  dog tired.  

But so happy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LUCKY!!! thanks for sharing the journy....and congrats on the beautiful and stylish buckle! Oh and of course your King.
Raga

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Love, love, love the shiny buckle and the photo of the dogs! You rock

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter