Saturday, August 22, 2009

goodbye summer


We celebrated summer's end with a trip to Hidden Beach.  It's a locals place that welcomes dogs and always feels right.  I had my second (and last) ocean swim for purification, and to help heal the horrific case of poison oak that covered my face.  I also took a moment to clean my feet (always terrifyingly black in the summertime) and contemplate my toenails.  I realized, after taking off the polish and seeing the whitish, peeling nailbeds, that I hadn't had bare toenails in probably years.  So I've decided to go non-toxic for awhile and it feels great.


My swim did me a world of good, not to mention healed my poison oak in 2 days.  I emerged feeling refreshed and recharged (but not, unfortunately, quite ready to let the summer go...)


What an amazing summer for Little P.!  She can now swim like a fish, ride a bike on her own, and within the last week she has lost BOTH front teeth.  (Pictures soon of her First Grade Smile.)


Now we enter the hottest part of our year.  The first week of school (starting Monday!) is inevitably hot, sticky and uncomfortable.  I wish for my spirit to fly like this kite... staying above it all, cool and collected, bending to the whims of the wind as I take on 23 little Kindergarteners and try to stay sane for the next nine months.


Holding the peace of the ocean in my heart, the strength of the mountains in my being, and the joy of summer memories for the rest of the year....

... until summer returns.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Your last sentence is lovely and powerful.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter