Monday, September 29, 2008

the cow


I love, love, love my new Kinder teacher partner. We have been friends a long time, but this is only the second time we've actually "teamed up" together. The first week of school she ran up to me and said excitedly, "Do you wanna get the cow?!"


Um, well, DUH. Who did she think she was asking? The Dairy Council sends "the cow" out to schools for a little dairy promotion and a lot of real life learning. It's so cool. The trailer drives up. The farmer embarks on a little introduction. The door slides up with a whack - and boom, there's the cow. A collective gasp goes up as my class comes face to face with where their grimy little cartons of milk (most of which they usually pour down the sink) really comes from.


And of course, the secret of the cow's milk production - the calf. It always amazes me that even adults don't get this basic fact: mammals must be nursing to give milk. This baby was not actually the cow's offspring, but she was a cutie pie all the same. I wanted to take her home, of course.


Wouldn't it be fun to give her a bottle like this?! Oh my gosh she was cute. All the kids got to give her a pet as we rambled back to class and got on with less important things (like math).

Both the cow and the calf's name was Elly.

I love my Kinder partner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter