Wednesday, August 20, 2008

best birthday cake


I had a modest party with a ROCKIN' cake. I knew what I wanted to make two months ago. Homemade vanilla cake, lemon curd filling (three layers!) and perfect seven minute white frosting.


This lemon curd was made ever so tasty with the fresh grated organic lemon zest. SO creamy and tart.


L'assemblage, before the frosting. I will now take this moment to admit I blew the first round of frosting. My neighbor showed up to see the new mare, and in my excitement to lead him up and hang out with her I messed up the boiled white frosting originally intended and instead made caramel.


So Plan B went into action: classic seven minute frosting, effortlessly successful with the aid of our own extremely fresh egg whites and the yellow Kitchenaid inherited from my grandmother.


Oh man I had SO MUCH FUN with this cake. Here we have perfect fluffy virginal white highly sweet and creamy frosting. I can't wait to slather it on!!!


It's so perfect, I want to die.


Now I've pressed in the shredded sweetened coconut. That was a harder job requiring patience, but in the end I believe extended the stamina of the cake and created the perfect taste and texture experience.



Bombproof under its protective layer, this angel cake was later ripper open, flames lit, wishes made and sent into the universe on angel wings and then ravenously consumed within several hours, not a crumb to be had the next morning.

I'm 44. So be it! Blessed Be!

4 Comments:

Blogger LauraJ said...

what a delightful cake!!
Happy Birthday Dear!
I save a piece of my cake in the freezer and will eat it on my half birthday.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum! And happy birthday! My sister's favorites are lemon and coconut so I might have to make something similar for her b-day in a couple weeks.

4:23 PM  
Blogger The Cooking Lady said...

I so wish I had a mixer, but finances are telling me otherwise.

Love that cake, and better yet...love being in my 40's...we rock!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Happy belated birthday, Leo sister! I can't believe we share the same birthday, right down to the year?!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter