Tuesday, June 17, 2008

living


Here is the cemetery in Salinas. This is where my Dad is, along with my paternal grandparents and John Steinbeck.


My Dad was an elementary school principal for over thirty years. He died of leukemia and we miss him terribly. I made a little bouquet for him from flowers gathered at my guild meeting.

My birth dad is dead too. He crashed his car in 1979. They scattered his ashes out a plane over the Monterey Bay.


My Mom has had a hard time without Roaul. I know that she is more lonely than she lets on to be. Li'l P. had fun in her backyard last weekend. My Dad always fought with my Mom about the backyard; he never thought it was important to have flowers. Now she grows lots.


My Dad's mother, Gertrude, said to him: "Give me my flowers when I am living."

I can see her point.

2 Comments:

Blogger LauraJ said...

John Steinbeck-wonderful writer!
I think I'm going to agree with your grandmother! I'll go one step further...folks is always tellin' me stop taking in your brother's kids, you need your rest and I tell them I will have plenty of rest when I'm dead and gone. Now is the time for livin'!
Big hugs to you! My dad lives in Florida and don't see him often. I also have a birth father too but never met him.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Bean said...

I am beginning to think I came across your blog for a reason. Funny how that happens.

My Dad died from cancer 5 years ago, 18 hours after the birth of my first daughter. I am pretty sure he and I crossed paths for a reason too. I miss him terribly. We were really great friends, me and my Daddy. He loved airplanes and we were lucky to go to a wonderful Airshow over the Fathers Day weekend. My memories of him are all happy, I just wish he could be around to see his grand-daughters and share in the excitement of airshows and Montessori pre-school graduations and all the stuff we are experiencing right now. That...and I wish I could tell him I love him just one more time.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter