Saturday, February 17, 2007

stillness

I seem to be in a Winter lull. Steps taken forward lead to nowhere. Time is suspended...trying to push ahead feels like wading through deep water. It is time to float.

My yoga teacher, during sadahsana, used to say: Let your mind and body be an empty boat. This is the feeling I am trying to capture. Simple, serene, yielding. There is nowhere to go, nothing to do. I carry on with daily routines....teach and try to stay present...knit and try to finish something (anything!). And yet the pool of Winter is deep, and wide.

The crescent moon is the barge of Heaven. I unite with her across the sky...floating, just floating.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Stillness is a good thing. Not easy to achieve though. But for balance, it's needed. When the world is quiet and it feels like I am the only person around to view the stillness, I like to find a spot to sit down on the ground, usually outside if the weather isn't too bad. I quiet myself, slow down my breathing, close my eyes and empty all of my thoughts the best that I can. Then I just listen to all the little sounds I normally miss out on during the hustle and bustle of every day life. I hear the wind's song as it gently caresses the tree tops, the birds singing off in the distance. I feel the light on my face, and run my fingers through the grass and the earth. After 15 minutes, I feel so refreshed and have complete inner calm and am ready to do what ever it is I need to do that day. It's made me grow to love the stillness of the seasons, of my enviroment and taught me that all things happen within their own time, not mine.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Connie Peterson said...

I need to have more stillness in my life. Thank you for reminding me.

Love the picture!!!

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter