Tuesday, March 21, 2006

celebration

Last night was the Team in Training Cause for Celebration party. It is here we finally get to see our teammates in normal clothing, all showered and everything. There was wonderful food, lots of laughter as we all swapped stories of the rigors of training and got really excited about our events.

I was even more excited to present Bridget with my little gift.
She loved it, in her sweet and enthusiastic way. She kept giving me lots of hugs, and the poncho was perfect for her - soft and warm, it was perfect for her to cuddle up in on her Mom's lap for the evening. I felt so good about it!
You see I ended up making all the fringe the same kind of fuzzy pink. I don't think there's a single organic strand in this project, which makes it perfect for lots of washings and wearings. And I get the feeling she's going to wear it a LOT.

I was so happy to hear from Bridget's father, Vince, that they had recently celebrated a whole year of Bridget NOT being in the hospital! It was so inspiring to see her, innocent and brave, embracing life in the face of a life-threatening disease.

Did you know that leukemia is the number one killer of children? You can help! Please click on the Team In Training button in the sidebar. Together we can work for a cure!


On the way home from the party, HOW THRILLED WAS I to receive my last (*sniff*) fabulous package from my Secret Pal. I was very ritualistice about opening it: had to put away the groceries and tidy up, get myself a drink, and slowly and carefull reveal the contents of the box:
Not a great pic, but you can see (against P. #2's finger painting) a lovely handmade angel cloth - so sweet! A gift bag of travel sized hand products (boy do I need those! I almost gasped when I was helping one of my students read today - pointing to the words for him - egads! Are those MY cuticles?!) And in the bowl, too dark in this picture, some very lovely, very very tiny seed beads in shades of purple. Hmmm, how did she know the 6sox socks this month had beads?!

OK, and here's the Grande Finale, and proof that I think she really does like me!
SHE MADE ME SOCKS! My Goddess, she made me socks!!! And not just any socks people...pink, warm, beautiful socks that fit me perfectly and make me drool at the expertise exhibited here. How in the world did you do that toe? And the gorgeous lace pattern?! You better believe I wore these to school today - with my Keen mary janes, so everyone could admire my luck that is Beautiful Handmade Socks made just for me.

So...what can I say? My Secret Pal experience has been nothing short of wonderful. I got a great pal who really knew what I liked, seemed to enjoy compiling her gifts, and in general just spoiled me rotten. Now, if I could just figure out who she is!

She sent me an email....she likes "old numbers and the color blue", and she has the same birthday as me, August 17th. Secret Pal, I give up! Anybody have a clue?

3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Hey, Secret Pal, You can find me at 1870 pearl. I'm glad the socks fit. I so worried that they would not fit. Now you can spy on me.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Such wonderful gifts! What a great secret pal you were blessed with!

You and I have something sort of in common. I'm in the fight against leukemia as well, but as a registered bone marrow donor. Been on the list for nearly 10 years now and hoping someday I will be a match for someone!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Pretty in Pink with a lovley smile!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter