Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Birthdays

Sunday was dd #3's third birthday. Guess who she loves???
This work of art was made by me and my mom. We had fun rifling through my sister's cupboards to find all the right components. Equally enjoyable was watching Princess get into the party spirit:
Yep, she's a shy one all right! Pink cupcakes, sparkling candles, and many, many presents later, she was still going.....I love this girl, she is a bright light in a dim world.

I'm not very good at formatting stuff, so bear with me here. We spent three days in Chico, about an hour north of Sacramento. My two sisters, bil, niece and nephew were all there. It was sunny and crisp, perfect Thanksgiving weather. I skipped the post feast shopping frenzy on Friday and spent the day knitting and watching hours of cooking shows. They were all about...leftovers. Somewhat anticlimactic, but fun for someone without cable at home.

On the knitting front, I started a pair of self patterning socks for my sil. I knitted on them about six hours....they were beautiful, and just the perfect colors for her. All went well until I tried to.....put them on. Ooops.

My gauge was 1/2 inch off!!! Seems I knit tighter around my relatives.

So I frogged it all, and turned my attention elsewhere:

Here we have a little hat for my dd #2 - Horsey Girl. Most unpromising in the skein, it is knitting up to be rather interesting. I'm impressed by the striping thing going on here....not colors I'd normally choose, but I'm learning a lot. And knitting my own handspun is a fantastic experience so far! Incredibly soft and warm on size 10 1/2 bamboo needles...this is merino from a place in Half Moon Bay. I still have a couple of ounces that I plan on dying in a blue - green colorway. Sunset Over Santa Cruz got plied last night - more pics later. Later!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Hi Aurora! Happy Birthday to your little one! I love the way that yarn is knitting up! Nothing like a surprise stripe to show up when you're knitting to really keep your attention. (Or maybe you're not as easily amused as I am - I just love knitting tweeds - you never know where the next little speck will show up!)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Tell the little one "Happy Birthday" from me! 3 is such a wonderful age!

Sounds like your Thanksgiving was a good one. I agree with Melanie, I love the way that yarn is knitting up as well. I's magical the way some yarn knits up, I'm learning that every day!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web counter